Thursday, July 27, 2006

Sucking Chest Wound, or, A Bad Day in the FR

I don't mind playing defense all the time. It is not nearly as exciting as offense, but I"m cool with free safety pwn'ing the wide receiver. (Can you tell I miss football? I hate baseball.) I don't expect a lot of acclaim when I lay the fear on, or the DOTs, and watch as the hunter or rogue or warrior or even the damned mage gets the final blow on a guy I've brought to his knees. I"m even okay with that.

However, yesterday I had a BG experience that might put me off BGs for a while. It was probably exacerbated by the fact that it followed the beautiful run we had with Eric running us on Skype. That was awesome. THis was whatever the opposite of that is, perhaps Sucking Chest Wound.

It started out well enough. Three or four of us were on D, and we were handling all the crap jumping down from the balcony. We were handling the rogue who hung out around our empty FR (flag room) waiting for the flag to be returned to the base so he could step in and sweep it up and run. This is a common and not-too-shabby strategy when you fnd yourself playing against a group that seems to feel an empty FR warrants no guarding. THey seem to forget that the second the flag is returned to base, it is available and unguarded. A clever dude can snatch it up and beat it out of there and be to midfield before you have your collective wits about you.

After the first couple of saves, the defensive players all decided they were not going to play defense.

There I was, clothie caster and my kleenex sidekick, Impy, guarding the empty space. The rogue came in and we fought him off. He came back and killed us (mostly via stun; not much I can do when stunned). Then there were two additional "flag returned to base" episodes in which I was pwned by a several Horde members as they accompanied their flag carrier out of our FR. No other peeps from our team were around. I called out for help on defense. When it happened to me the third time and I saw the laughing rogue coming at me yet again, I let the team know I was tired of it and I quit. Not only was I not experiencing any efficacy, I had no kills, just death.

Open Sucking CHest Wound.

I"m still not back in BGs yet. I"m still trying to decide what I want to do next time that happens.

3 Comments:

Blogger Ken said...

Bad experiences can happen anywhere. BG's Pick-up groups, just grinding by yourself. They annoy and make you worry, but even after getting your bell rung by the WR crossing the middle that you didn't see, you still need to get back up and lay the wood on the next WR. :-) Just continuing on the football analogy. Maybe we should invite you to our Fantasy league this year...

12:11 PM  
Blogger Eric said...

Yeah, I'll echo Ken there. I think part of the reason I hate Uldaman as an instance was that the first time I went there, I went as a PUG that was abso-frikkin-lutely the worstest ever. I think part of the reason I have latent resentment against the Horde playing in the 10-19s is that they never seem to be having a bad day. I know that's not true, but it's easy to be envious. But we'll bounce back - I have some founded hope that DSL will be coming to my home in a few months. After that, Skype and WoW will become soo much easier for me. Then we'll pwn!

3:20 PM  
Blogger Lindax said...

Of course, you're right. And today is another day, and I'm sure I'll be back in BGs.

Don/Flaiginbar and I discussed the experience, and I decided next time I'm alone in the FR, I"m leaving to join whatever the action is wherever it is.

I'm still finding my way with the warlock. There's not much interesting to do under lvl 20 except fear. LOL. DOTs do get me kills sometimes. People can't shake off those spells once they're on.

2:59 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home